01 September 2012

Say Hello! to : Vie the food amateur


Recently, I've been trying to learn cooking with my little sister ( she is really a future chef, I wonder where she got that skill,probably from my mom ). The thing is... I am basically not into cooking (like REALLY BAD). I got confused when I look at a complicated recipes that require certain skills. So, I'm looking for recipes that are easy-to-follow, delicious, and friendly with the amateur like me.

That's why I'm very grateful when my best friend created a blog for amateur to learn how to cook a simple, easy, and delicious dishes! So, if you are also the amateur who are trying to cook like me, you would love her blog! Here are one of my favorite recipes that I got from her blog :





Gyudon Japanese Beef Bowl
original recipe from vie the food amateur


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp sweet rice wine used for cooking (mirin 味醂)
  • splash of sake
  • 1/2 lb very thinly sliced beef
  • 1 tsp grated ginger


Method :

  • Cook the rice.
  • Now, on to the rest of the "prep" -- Slice the yellow onions thinly and start sauteing on medium heat with some cooking oil in a largeish pan.
  • Mix together the water, soy sauce, mirin and sake.
  • After the onions are translucent, add the beef slices and cook for a minute or two. They'll cook quickly since they are sliced thinly so have your sauce at hand. Add the sauce and reduce heat. Make sure everything gets nicely coated and cook for a few minutes until sauce reduces slightly.
  • Scoop a generous amount of rice into large, deep bowls and top with the steaming mixture. Gyudon, like any donburi, is best served steaming hot! You can optionally top or serve with thin pickled ginger strips (beni shōga 紅生姜) or other pickled items   

{image credit}



The result looks delicious and lovely, doesn't it? The other thing that I love about her blog is she actually put her notes called vie's notes at the end of every recipes where she shared her experience and advice when cooking the recipes, its actually really helpful to guide me trying the recipes. 

Here are other recipes from her blog (click the image to go to recipes):









Vie or known as Alviana Kalin is my best friend and she's such an inspiration for me (Actually, she is the one who introduce me with blogging ). She's a graphic design student and freelancer that is passionate in food, fashion, music, and art. She's currently lived in Shanghai to pursue her graphic design study. To know more about vie, you can visit her personal blog where she writes about little pieces of her life. She will very welcome you and glad to be friends with you :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...