30 August 2012

3 Tips for picking your major in college


When I chose my major in college, I chose the one that average students in my college chose at that time. Looking back at that year, I wish someone told me some important things to be considered before I choose my major. I feel lucky with the fact that I end up loving and enjoying my major in college, but I'm still thinking... Is this really the one that I want? Only and only if I can return to that time, would I choose a different major? But its too late for me and the best I can do is study well and focus on my major.

I personally think that the major we choose is one of the main factors that will determine our future path and career, so it is worth to look at few things to be considered before you choose your major. So, if you are in your freshman year, I would love to share with you 3 tips to pick your major in college. This comes from my personal experience in college and hopefully I can help you!


1) Know your passion


{image credit}

The first and most important thing to be considered is your passion which is defined as " strong feeling or desire; love; ardor" , " any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love." Yes, you may know what passion is because we heard a lot about it. 

But when being asked about passion, some people can easily answer : "photography", "fashion", "interior design", "food", and more, I always and always adore these people. On the other side, there are people who have no idea what their passion truly are. They lost, I was at that place 3 years ago.

Knowing your passion gives you many advantages for being focus in your life. You have to dig more and find out what your passion is. Here are some questions that will help you to find your passion:

  • In your free time, what is the subject that you browse in internet?
  • What is the thing that you love to do when you have a free time?
  • What subject that make you addicted?
  • Can you see yourself get into this subject for a long-term?
  • Are you interested to learn and know more about the subject?



2) Find information about the major


{image credit}


At this point, I hope you already know one or two things that you are passionate about. But before you make your final decision, find information regarding the syllabus and assignments on your major. If your college provides a consultant, it will be good step to find information about:
  • What you will learn in this major?
  • What are the requirements?
  • What kind of assignments that will be given to you?
  • What skills and knowledge you will need to be successful in this major?
  • What is the final project for this major?


3)  Do research on future career

{image credit}


After knowing your passion and information (hopefully you do), do a research on that field. Find the information about what future career that will available after you graduate and (again) ask yourself if that is what you want for your future. For example, if you attend a finance major you have to know that the job for undergraduate student who are major in finance are treasurer, financial analyst, credit manager, cash manager, and more.

By doing this research, you will know if you really want to take this major. One good example is my best friend who take graphic design as her major because she knew that she will able to work as a freelance graphic designer ( which she desires ) after she graduate from college. 



So, there are 3 tips from me and hopefully it can help you to choose your major in college!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...